Cumberland River Behavioral Health, Inc.
Employee Web Site
Support Examples

An applicant can request supports that meet individual needs and are consistent with the principles of Hart-Support Living. These requests should be based on an individualized plan. Applicants may request either one-time or ongoing supports or both.

One-time Supports you may request:

  • Adaptive and Therapeutic Equipment: TTY/TTD modules, communication devices, Medicalert, specialized fire alarms, service animals, assistive technology, etc. to help a person live in his/her own home or function more independently. A letter from a therapist or physician justifying the request will be required.
  • Home Modifications: architectural changes, ramps, widening doorways, accessibility/adaptations to bathrooms, etc. which need to be made to the residence to accommodate the individual's disability. There is a limit of $3500.00  for rental property. The modification must be related to the person's disability. General repairs or maintenance not related to a person's disability (such as roof, gutters, window, and water damage) cannot be funded. A letter from a therapist or physician will be required, if necessary, to show that the modification requested is related to the individual's disability.
  • Vehicle Modifications: lifts, carries for chairs, hand controls. Hart-Supported Living will not fund a vehicle or vehicle rental.
  • Start-Up Grants: a variety of one-time expenses related to living in a house or rental property in the community such as security deposit, down payment (maximum 10%), closing costs, purchase of furniture or equipment. Documentation to justify the request will be required. On-going rent or mortgage payments cannot be funded through Hart-Supported Living.

Ongoing Supports you may request:

  • Attendant Care/Personal Care/Companionship Services: person to assist with feeding, bathing, dressing, transferring, turning, repositioning, activities of daily living, ambulation, emergency procedures, fitness, or appointments.
  • Community Resource Developer: person who coordinates and assists in helping a person to develop relationships, opportunities, networks, etc. in the community on an individualized basis which would possibly be sustained voluntarily over time, e.g. facilitation of person's participation in church or other religious organizations, civic associations, community organizations, personal hobbies, family activities, etc.
  • Homemaker Services: cooking, shopping, laundry, housekeeping and practical assistance in maintaining the recipient's household.
  • Respite: person who can provide care for a person with a disability so the caregiver or provider can have  a break.
  • Recreation/Leisure: person who provides assistance in going places in the community and participating in leisure activities.
  • Live-in Support: person who provides support in areas of personal care, supervision (if needed) and home management on a live-in basis.
  • Trainer in Home Management and Independent Living Skills: person who teaches and enhances skills and competencies in living in the community such as laundry, cooking, budgeting, meal planning, shopping, etc.
  • Support Broker or Personal Agent: person who coordinated the plan, locates providers and related resources and provides oversight to plan implementation; may also facilitate person-centered planning team.
  • Consultation: evaluation or assessment to enhance communication, accessibility, assistive technology needs or to assist in resolving difficult situations or behavior challenges; can include person-centered planning by an independent and trained facilitator.
  • Transportation: can include the cost of hiring a person to provide transportation to work or community activities; can also include mileage or cost reimbursement for a person providing transportation or reimbursement for the cost of alternate transportation such as taxis, or specialized bus or van services. It does not include the purchase or rental of a vehicle or transportation to programs primarily for persons with disabilities.
  • Employment Related Expenses: if the applicant plans to hire individuals to provide services, a request for sufficient funds to pay employer taxes, worker's compensation and to pay accountant or individual with experience to assist in managing employment can be made.

Supports that cannot be requested:

Hart-Supported Living regulations provide that a Hart-Supported Living grant shall not be used for:

  • On-going rent or mortgage payments
  • Payment of a medical insurance premium or unpaid medical bills
  • Supplementation of wages for staff in other publicly-funded programs
  • Modifications costing over $3500.00 on rental property
  • A home improvement not related to the individual's disability
  • Rental of a vehicle for more than thirty days in a fiscal year
  • Purchase of a vehicle
  • Supports or services for individuals in living arrangements that include more than three people with disabilities (unless all are related legally or biologically as a family unit)
  • Equipment or service which is obtainable from another program for which the applicant qualifies. Hart-Supported Living cannot be used for duplication of services.
  • Tuition or fees for transportation for a program that lasts more than thirty days in a fiscal year i(f more than half of the participants are persons with disabilities as defined by the  ADA)